What is the difference between a motion controller and PLC?
The motion controller is a special controller that controls the operation mode of the motor. For example, the motor controls the AC contactor by the limit switch and the motor drags the object up to the specified position.Set it down and then run it down, or use the time relay to control the motor to reverse or stop for a while and then turn it again for a while. The application of motion control in the field of robotic numerical control machine tools is more complicated than the application for special machines, because the latter is a simpler form of movement and is often referred to as General Motion Control (GMC).
Motion controller features
(1) The hardware composition is simple, insert the motion controller into the PC bus, connect the signal line can make up the system;
(2) It can be developed using the rich software already available on the PC;
(3) The code commonality and portability of motion control software are better;
(4) There are many engineers who can carry out development work, and they can develop without too much training.
What is a PLC
Programmable logic controllers are digital operating electronic systems that designed specifically for industrial environments using. It applys a programmable memory,in which internal stores and execute operation commands,such as logic operations ,sequential control, timing, counting, and arithmetic,and controls various types of mechanical equipment or production processes through digital or analog input and output.
(1) High reliability. As most PLCs use single-chip microcomputers, the degree of integration is high, coupled with the corresponding protection circuit and self-diagnosis function, which improves the reliability of the system.
(2) Easy programming. PLC programming uses relays to control ladder diagrams and command statements. The number of relays is much less than that of microcomputer commands. In addition to medium and high-end PLCs, general small PLCs only have16 or so. Because the ladder diagram is simple, it is easy to grasp, easy to use, and even requires no computer expertise to program.
(3) Flexible configuration. Because the PLC adopts a modular structure, the user only needs to simply combine and can flexibly change the function and scale of the control system. Therefore, it can be applied to any control system.
(4) The input/output function module is complete. One of the biggest advantages of PLC is that it is aimed at different on-site signals (such as DC or AC, switching, digital or analog, voltage or current, etc.).
All the corresponding templates can be directly connected with the devices in the industrial field (such as buttons, switches, sensor current transducers, motor starters or control valves, etc.), and connected to the CPU motherboard through the bus.
(5) Easy to install. Compared with the computer system, the installation of the PLC does not require a dedicated machine room, nor does it require strict shielding measures. Only use the detection device with the actuator and PLC
The I/O interface terminals are properly connected and can operate normally.
(6) Fast operation. Since PLC control is performed by program control, regardless of its reliability or operating speed, it cannot be compared with relay logic control. In recent years,the use of the micro processor, especially with the large number of single-chip microcomputer, greatly enhances the capabilities of the PLC, and makes the difference between the PLC and the microcomputer control system more and more small, especially the high-end PLC is more like this.
Difference between motion controller and plc
Motion control mainly involves the control of stepper motors and servo motors. The control structure mode is generally: control device + driver + (stepping or servo) motor.
The control device can be a PLC system or a dedicated automation device (such as a motion controller, motion control card). When the PLC system is used as a control device, it has the flexibility of the PLC system.
A certain degree of versatility, but for high precision, such as - interpolation control, sensitive response requirements difficult to do or programming is very difficult, and the cost may be higher.
With the advancement of technology and technology accumulation, motion controllers came into being. They solidify some universal and special motion control functions - such as interpolation instructions, users only need to configure and call these functional blocks or instructions,which ease the difficulty of programming and have advantages in performance and cost.
It can also be understood that the use of the PLC is an ordinary motion control device. The motion controller is a special kind of PLC dedicated to motion control.